Operational Permits

Operational Permit for Public assembly, open flame, temporary stands, and mobile food vendors (food trucks).


Who needs an Inspection and a Central Pierce Fire and Rescue Operational Permit?

Any food vendor serving from a truck, trailer, awning or canopy:

  • Producing grease-laden vapor
  • Producing an open flame
  • Using a generator
  • Using propane

We are working with the Washington State Association of Fire Marshals Food Truck Program.  We honor completed approved inspections performed by other participating fire districts in this program or we are happy to schedule one with you.  Please visit the above link for an updated list of participating fire districts.

An annual operational permit will be needed when operating within the City of Puyallup. The permit application and information is available by clicking the link below. Mobile food vendors need only to pay for the permit. Inspection is included.

Appointments can be made by calling our office (253) 538-6402 or email to schedule a time.


Fire Life Safety Requirements


Recreational Fires

Outdoor Burning

CPFR no longer issues paper permits for recreational fires. Adhering to these rules permits your recreational fire.

If you suspect an illegal burn, call 9-1-1 and let us investigate, educate and/or send on to Puget Sound Clean Air Agency for further action and code enforcement. 

Washington State law prohibits residential burning and land-clearing fires in all areas served by Central Pierce Fire & Rescue. This means the burning of yard waste (leaves, branches, twigs, etc.) is not allowed. Using burn barrels and burning any type of garbage is also prohibited. Agricultural burns are legal with a permit from Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.Yard waste (grass clippings, branches smaller than 4″ in diameter, etc.) is accepted at the LRI Hidden Valley Transfer Station free of charge.  For specific information on a location near you in Pierce County, please visit

Recreational Fires Defined

Recreational fires are allowed within Central Pierce Fire & Rescue on your private property. According to state rules, the term “recreational fire” means, “Cooking fires and camp fires using charcoal or firewood for cooking or pleasure. Fires used for debris disposal purposes are not considered recreational fires.” Click here for more information on outdoor burning Puget Sound Outdoor burning flyer. 



  • No garbage, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paint, rubber products, tire, plastic, paper products, plywood, finished lumber or particle board may be burned.
  • Burn barrels shall not be utilized for burning.

 Authorized Recreational Fires

  • Fires shall consist of dry seasoned firewood, “Dura-flame/Presto logs” or charcoal briquettes.
  • Burning of yard waste is not allowed in recreational fire pits (no branches, shrubbery, or wet wood).
  • Recreational/campfires are allowed if built-in metal or concrete-lined fire pits like those located in designated campgrounds, local, county, state parks and in commercial campgrounds. The use of self-contained camp stoves is encouraged.
  • Fires shall not be within twenty-five (25) feet of a structure.
  • Fires shall not be within ten (10) feet of adjoining property lines, fences, or decks.
  • Pits shall not exceed three (3) feet in diameter and flames no higher than two (2) feet in height.  The depth of the pit shall be a minimum of four (4) inches and capable of containing all burned material.
  • A minimum of ten (10) feet shall be maintained around the entire pit, free of grass, shrubbery, weeds, vegetation and any other combustible material, including overhanging limbs from trees.
  • Fires shall be attended at all times by an alert individual with immediate access to a shovel and either five (5) gallons of water or a connected and charged water hose.

Complaints / Violations

It is unlawful for any person to allow sufficient quantities of particulate matter or air contaminants to be injurious to human health, plant or animal life, or property, or to unreasonably interfere with enjoyment of life and property. Such complaints shall require the Fire District to request the immediate extinguishment of the fire. A second complaint will result in no more recreational fires at this location and/or by person(s) responsible for the illegal burns. Failure to comply with permit requirements can lead to the issuing of a citation by Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA). The  penalty is $2,000.00 and up to $23,131.00 a day per violations and/or imprisonment for not more than ninety (90) days.

(PSCAA). For fire safety burn ban info call 253.798.7179 (PC Fire Marshal). To report an illegal fire call 911.